SXSW is two months away! We repeat–two months away! As we get closer, SXSW is rolling out the announcements of speakers, music headliners, and opening night films, and we have the scoop so you won’t be feeling any #FOMO. There’s an array of speakers recently announced from entertainment, politics, tech and more.
- David Benioff and D.B. Weiss (Entertainment Influencers) – David Benioff works as an author and screenwriter. D.B. Weiss is a writer and the author of Lucky Wander Boy. Both Benioff and Weiss co-creators and executive producers of the Emmy Award-winning “Game of Thrones” for HBO.
- Van Jones (Government) – Van Jones is an author, CNN political commentator, and host of The Messy Truth with Van Jones on CNN. Jones worked as the green jobs advisor to President Barack Obama, and has founded and led four not-for-profit organizations engaged in social and environmental justice.
- Wagner Moura and Alice Braga with John Hopewell (Entertainment Influencers) – Golden Globe Nominee actor Wagner Moura (“Narcos,” Netflix) and actress Alice Braga (“Queen of the South,” USA Network), two Brazilian artists, discuss diversity in Hollywood alongside Variety reporter John Hopewell, as both star in cutting-edge, prime-time drama series in the United States — with Latin American protagonists.
- Steve Case and Beth Comstock (Startup Village) – Steve Case is America’s best-known and most accomplished entrepreneur. He is the co-founder of AOL and CEO of Revolution. Beth Comstock is Vice Chairman at GE. In this capacity, she leads GE’s efforts to accelerate new growth.
- Tom Cwik, Maggie Malone, Steve May, and Vick Schutz (Entertainment Influencers) – Tom Cwik leads Space Technology development at JPL, initiating and maintaining the Laboratories long-term tech strategy. Maggie Malone is the Head of Creative Affairs at the Walt Disney Animation Studios, where she has worked on such films as “Zootopia,” and “Frozen.” Steve May is the Chief Technology Officer at PIXAR, overseeing the development of visual effects tools and processes for the entire studio. Vick Schutz is the Computer Graphics Supervisor at ILM, where he completed work on films such as “Avatar,” “War of the Worlds,” and more.
- Dr. Hiroshi Ishiguro and Dr. Ryuichiro Higashinaka (Intelligent Future) – Dr. Hiroshi Ishiguro is director of the Intelligent Robotics Laboratory, part of the Department of Systems Innovation in the Graduate School of Engineering Science at Osaka University, Japan. Dr. Ryuichiro Higashinaka is a Senior Research Scientist at the Audio, Speech, and Language Media Laboratory, a part of the NTT Media Intelligence Laboratories.
- Marie “KonMari” Kondo (Design) – Marie “KonMari” Kondo is a Japanese organizing consultant, author and visionary entrepreneur. Kondo has captured the findings from her lifelong journey of organization as the best-selling author of The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing and Spark Joy: An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up.
- Ray Kurzweil and Amy Kurzweil (Tech Industry) – Ray Kurzweil is one of the world’s leading inventors, thinkers, and futurists. He is co-founder and Chancellor of Singularity University and a Director of Engineering at Google. Amy Kurzweil is a cartoonist and writer whose comics have appeared in The New Yorker and The Huffington Post. She teaches writing and comics at Parsons The New School for Design and at the Fashion Institute of Technology.
- Casey Neistat (Journalism) – Casey Neistat is a YouTube creator with over 1.3 billion views, a filmmaker and a technology entrepreneur. In November 2016 he became part of CNN Worldwide, where he is currently building an entirely new stand-alone media and technology company that combines CNN’s global resources with a fresh approach to the news.
- Gen. Paul J. Selva (Government) – General Selva serves as the 10th Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. In this capacity, he is the nation’s second highest-ranking military officer. Selva was recently featured on the 60 Minutes segment “The Coming Swarm,” which addressed autonomous drones.
- Melanie Whelan, Tyler Haney with Julia Boorstin (Health) – Melanie Whelan is the CEO of SoulCycle, the country’s premier indoor cycling brand. Tyler Haney is the Founder and CEO of active lifestyle brand Outdoor Voices. Julia Boorstin is the Senior Media and Entertainment Correspondent for CNBC.
You can click here to see who else will speak at SXSW 2017.